Rest assured, this is not intended to herald the beginning of We Are Adventure.us as a food blog. While I love food blogs, this is a travel blog, plain & simple. Rather, I put some good time into researching, cooking for, & making some seriously tasty vegetarian recipes that would work well for our recent camping trip & they turned out so well that I just really wanted to share! Think of it less as a food post & more as an edible reason for why you just *must* go camping now. 😉
This chili was SO good. It’s not quite as thick as a traditional chili, but it was so nice to have it all made ahead of time & just pull it out of the cooler for dinner.
After a day playing outside, the absolute last thing you want to do is cook a bunch, so it was nice to have it all done & just have to throw it in a pot on the camp stove & wait for it to get warm.
We made some grilled cheese sandwiches, too. A little butter in the pan, fry up the bread, add cheddar cheese, cover, & wait for it to melt. So tasty & it really was the addition that made the whole meal feel really fancy. Plus, we dipped our hot, super tasty grilled cheese sandwiches in our warm chili & fancy or not, that’s a flavor combination that I can get behind.
If you’re vegan, this one’s still easy. Make sure your worcestershire sauce is vegan & then serve with vegan cheddar cheese (I recommend the Daiya cheddar style products as I’ve made some extremely tasty grilled cheese sandwiches with their stuff).
I don’t eat meat, as you might have gathered, & make a concerted effort to avoid dairy in large quantities, so all my camp foods were purely vegetarian. Good news, friends, this went over quite well with Sam, who is not vegetarian & likes a hearty meal (although he is coming around!). So consider this a vegetarian meal that’s certified delicious for non vegetarians alike.
& that’s that, friends! Enjoy!
See the camping trip we took this meal on HERE, the beautiful oatmeal breakfast we used to start the day HERE, & the really yummy, I ate too many in one sitting quinoa, black bean, corn tacos HERE. More easy camp meals can be found HERE.
Hearty Vegetarian Chili (Easily Vegan!)
small amount of poured olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 cups of yellow onions, chopped into small squares
2 large carrots, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped into small squares
3 celery sticks, sliced
3 cups of vegetable stock
a few shakes of salt
a few shakes of pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon (vegan) worcestershire sauce
1 28-oz can of whole tomatoes (NOT drained!)
1 28-oz can of tomato puree
1 25-oz can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 bay leaves
fresh cilantro for topping
1. Heat the oil and garlic at the bottom of a soup pot. Don’t let the garlic burn, but once it’s cooked for a minute or two, add the onions and let them cook for 5-10 minutes until they’re a little soft.
2. Pour in the broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, corn, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper, & worchestershire sauce, Reduce heat to low, cover, & simmer for 1-2 hours.
3. Stick in the fridge & allow chili to cool overnight. Transport in your cooler, surrounded by ice, in the original cooking pot. Serve in the first few days of your trip to maintain freshness. Make sure you keep it cold, so it’s safe!
4. Heat up in a separate pot over your camp stove. Just warm up the amount that you’ll eat that night, not more! (To help keep the rest cold.)
5. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with grilled cheese or toast & butter for best results. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if you’re feeling fancy. Enjoy!